Dads get Postpartum Depression, too.
Did you know that up to 10% of all fathers experience postpartum depression with rates of occurance as high as 50% if depression is present in the mother?
What you might be feeling:
- Overwhelmed by the changes to your family, new responsibilities, and additional stress.
- Uncertainty in your role, how to physically and emotionally support the mother or how to care for your new child.
- Isolated from your friends, partner, work, or baby.
- Frustration, anger or irritability
- Dread over what fatherhood will be like, finances, fear of the future, feeling unprepared.
Why it matters:
- Dads who are involved have more socially competent, emotionally stable, and less aggressive children
- Fathers spending time with their children early on have a closer bond with their children years later
What you can do:
- Call for support and connect with resources: Leave a message on our phone line and we will call you back within 24 hours
- Join up with other dads: We offer groups led by trained facilitators. You are not alone, and your feelings will be validated by people who are there to listen.
- Engage your child: Learn from volunteers and other parents with personal experiences to share.
Baby Blues Connection can help. Give us a call toll-free 1-866-616-3752.
- Drop in at Cafe Au Play (5663 SE Division, Portland OR 97206) on the first Sunday of every month, 12:30-2
Guys, are you realizing that parenthood isn’t quite what you expected? Need some tools to help get you through the rough spots? Wonder what’s up with this baby, and your partner? This is the group for you. Come meet other new and soon-to-be dads in a casual environment where you can grab coffee and ask questions — the real questions — and get answers.
Click here for resources
Here are some recent articles about PPD and dads
Postpartum Depression and Anxiety in Dads: A hidden challenge
Vancouver Family Magazine – June 2013
The Dad Connection: How dads connect for support
Metro Parent – June 2013
Post-partum depression among new dads inspires support groups, helplines and more - Oregonian 2/20/2013
Postpartum Dad Depression – Elephant 5/24/2012